The infrastructure rock of Albert Hall was established during the visit of the Prince of Wales, Albert Edward to Jaipur in 1876, it had yet to be resolved what use it would be put to. There was some approach about educational and cultural use or as a town hall. However, in 1880 Maharaja Sawai Madho Singh II accepted a suggestion by Dr. Thomas Holbein Hendely, Resident Surgeon (whose activity continued beyond his medical duties) to open a museum of Industrial Arts to display products of local Artisan.
A small museum was created in 1881 in limited accommodation and confirmed most popular. Additionally, Holbein Hendley in 1883 mounted a Jaipur Exhibition at Naya Mahal (that is old Vidhan Sabha).
The purpose of these exercises was to advise local Artisan with the best examples of artwork and artifacts of India to control them to improve their skills, thereby protecting and conserving traditional art and arousing skills, while providing greater employment for artisans. It was also the objective that the display would help to educate youth in a wide variety of fields, entertain and inform the people of Jaipur.
Samuel Swinton Jacob was the architect who completed Albert Hall in 1887, Director of Jaipur PWD. The transitory museum and the exhibition whose commodity had been possessed from several parts of India and its neighborhood were combined and shifted to their permanent home in the new museum. The building itself became an elemental part of the display, its Indo Saracenic architecture and stone embellishment, became a source of quotation for varied classical Indian styles of architecture from Mughal to Rajput.
Even the passage was decorated with murals in a variety of styles including the Ramayan, recreating paintings from the explanation in the Persian Razinama prepared for Emperor Akbar. Egyptian, European, Greek, Chinese, and Babylonian progress were rendering in the other murals to enable the people of the region to compare and contrast them with their own and develop their knowledge of history and art.
That’s why Albert Hall became a center for communicating knowledge of the history of progress, inspiring craftsman to improve their skills, and conserving & developing traditional Indian arts, crafts, architectural forms and not least as Hendley said to gratify and instruct the common people”.
Encountering the gates of the city by 1890 there locate the museum, the zoo and the Mayo Hospital in a public park characterizing the dream of the former Maharaja Sawai Ram Singh which was completed by his replacement Sawai Madho Singh which showed the new face of a Jaipur moving into the modernized age.
“Rudyard Kipling the son of a manager on a visit was so happy by the architecture, display, woodwork, exhibits, cleanliness” and not least the manager office that he wrote, “it is now a condemnation to all other museums in India from Calcutta downwards”.
In 1898 on one day before of his departure, Hendley wrote to the Durbar (then ruler of Jaipur) royal family (The King of Jaipur) that on moderate the whole year attendance outplaced a one-fourth million people and in eleven years there was more than three million foreigners.